Thursday, December 4, 2014

Dr. Seuss Cat in the Hat Costume

Last month, we had a party for our daughter's 3rd birthday. I decided to make a cute costume for her to wear. This was the result! 

I thought the hat was the cutest part. 

 
I used a tutorial from The Night Garden blog as a guide for making her hat and a tutorial from She Pins Blog to make her tutu.

This was the inspiration for the Cat in the hat shirt. I had a small budget for the party, so buying this shirt was not an option. So of course, I opted for a DIY version. 

Materials
Striped Long Sleeve Tee
White Fabric or Felt
Red Fabric or Felt
White Thread
Red Thread
Sewing Needle

Even if the tee has a design on it will still work. 

Cut these shapes out the fabric or felt to fit the size of your tee. 
(I used felt for my bow and fabric for the torso)

Hand sew the torso on first, then the bow on top. Use a large stitch so the fabric or felt can be easily removed. 

Add black leggings or tights, and a shoe of your choice and your costume is complete.

I also made these shirts for my husband and I by sticking large labels on red shirts. 

2 comments: