Sunday, December 7, 2014

Dr. Seuss Birthday Party!



My daughter just turned 3 and we decided to have a Dr. Seuss Birthday Party. She loves Dr. Seuss and so do we! It's the perfect theme and it is also gender friendly (which my husband loved)! Since her birthday is right before the holidays, we needed to celebrate with a low budget. 

FOOD
All the food I prepared for the party was based on a book.  

My Green Eggs and Ham were based on this recipe I found at Ifood.tv. This recipe is basically a deviled egg recipe with cream cheese and spinach and a piece of bacon on top. I added some relish and a little bit of green food coloring to it. The color was a little too lime for green eggs.

Multicolored goldfish snacks were what we chose for the book One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish

We had two different kinds of meatballs in slow cookers for Yot in a Pot from Fox in Socks. We had Peach Chipoltle Meatballs and Orange Brown Sugar Meatballs. These were a hit! We ran out of meatballs about an hour into the party. 

I originally wanted to do Truffula Tree cupcakes for The Lorax, but my husband convinced me I could save a lot of time by baking a cake instead. I'm glad I took his advice, it came out fantastic! I used a basic Devi's Food Cake mix from my local Aldi. I added an extra egg, replaced the canola oil with coconut oil, and added a dollup of sour cream to the mix. For the icing, I purchased two containers of Aldi's green Christmas icing. I mixed 1 1/2 containers of icing with a block of cream cheese to cut some of the sweetness. The Truffula Trees were made from striped straws and pieces of Marabou feather boa hot glued on top. Check out this tutorial from Rook No. 17.

The party favors were Birthday Popcorn for the book, Hop on Pop. My husband helped me make this delicious popcorn with the help of A Sweet Spot Home's tutorial

DECOR
I kept the decor simple. Three years olds want presents and sugar, so decor was kept to a minimum. 
I found this pennant banner at Michael's for 80% off in the school supply section. I paid less than $2. I cut my daughter's name out of white copy paper.

We have several Dr. Seuss books, but not all of them. So I went to my local library and borrowed a bunch more. I found the Dr. Seuss alphabet at Michael's in the clearance section as well.

The center pieces were LIVE goldfish from Petco. You can get them for about 30 cents a piece. The blue stones are from the Dollar Tree. 

I also had a small coloring table with crayons and an extra Truffula Tree. Notice it is sans a goldfish center piece! I didn't want any amateur fishermen!

COSTUME
Isn't this costume adorable?!?! She wore the entire thing for about 7 minutes.  
Check out my tutorial for this cute costume here.


No comments:

Post a Comment