Saturday, June 7, 2014

Curly Marley Crochet Braids!


I had been debating if I wanted to install crochet braids for the summer. Normally my go to hair is Freetress Water Wave, but I was inspired by marleyhairatitsbest and popit_4_pumps on Instagram. Both used Marley Hair that had been roller set with hot water. 


I installed some old marley hair that I had previously used on some kinky twists. If you do not know how to crochet braid your hair. Check out this video on YouTube. It was about 3-4 packs which I think was way to much hair, so I suggest 2.5 packs of hair. I wore my hair untouched for about 2 days, then I decided to roller set it. 

Before roller setting with hot water, I first brushed out all my installed hair. I have read that some people do not brush out their hair, so it is possible to skip this step. 

Then I very tightly rolled all my hair on to perm rods. Because of the length of my crochet braids, bendy foam rollers would've been ideal, but I do not own any.

I chose the orange perm rods, but you could certainly use any size you would like. Remember the smaller the rod, the tighter the curl. I chose to use large sections of hair, thus creating a softer curl. For more defined curls, section off smaller amounts of hair. 

While you are you are setting your rods or rollers, boil a large pot of water. Use a mug to dip the rollers into the boiling water. Be careful not to burn your hand, I've learned to use a ladle to help fill my mug after burning myself several times. 

Also be careful to not burn your scalp from the steam. Instead of using my fingers to push down my rolled hair into the mug, I used a spare perm rod to submerge it. Be sure to have a towel on hand to soak up all the excess hot water from the rolled hair. Wait at least 5 minutes before removing the perm rods or rollers. 


So after a day, I learned why no one really wears this hair long. It tangles so easily!!!! It was so beautiful in the beginning, but after a day of shopping and running around after a toddler, my hair became a tangled mess!!!! I really did not want to take it down so I decided to cut it above my shoulders so it could do less rubbing which lead to the tangles. 

This is how it looked after I chopped off the tangled ends and brushed it out.

I then two strand twisted the hair and secured the blunt ends with rubber bands, then rod set the ends with small gray rods. I re-dipped my hair in boiling water.

 And here are my results! Problem solved!!! I was super excited that I didn't have to take down my hair and start over. 



Maintenance: I moisturize my natural hair underneath by spraying a mixture of glycerin & water or olive oil & water on my cornrows. Any moisturizer can be used, I prefer something light with no smell. I do not apply anything to the installed hair, because it is synthetic and requires nothing. If you feel the need to put something on it, I recommend water. Anything else will only weigh your hair down and cause it to get dirty faster. If properly installed, crochet braids can be washed. I suggest a watered down shampoo in a spray bottle. I usually do not shampoo my crochet braids, only my scalp from time to time if necessary. At night, I lean over and stuff my hair in a  bonnet. By inverting my head when I put on my bonnet I allow my hair to maintain its volume. I re-curl my hair weekly to keep my hair style looking fresh. This style can last up to 8 weeks with proper care. Maintenance is a must!

27 comments:

  1. LOVE the length, the curls, everything. It looks what my hair would do if I could get he twist out right. I'm in bohemian now, but I am moving to this next. I don't think I want to use 2.5 packs, thought, I'm hoping 1 pack will give me what I want.

    Did you seperate marley sections before installing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, but I should have. Then, I could've skipped the brushing out step. You may wanna use more than 1 pack, 1.5 packs should probably be your minimum. Good luck!

      Delete
  2. I had been debating if I wanted to install crochet braids for the summer. Normally my go to hair is Freetress Water Wave, but I was inspired by ... marley-hair.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you use the peach rods because I have the orange but they don't look as big

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used the orange rods. I tightly wrapped the hair. It was quite difficult.

      Delete
  4. Ok so I just tried this and I did everything exactly like you said the hair will not curl! HELP!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard of some Marley hair brands not curling. What brand did you use?

      Delete
  5. This is very pretty. How does the hair feel when you touch it? I used Janet Noir Marley hair the one time I tried it and it was SO rough to the touch that I took it out. Can't have my bf touching my hair and cutting his hand. lol. So I'm on the prowl for soft hair. All the freetress hair is soft, but it has "perfect" synthetic curls that don't match my natural hair, so Marley would be the best... if I could find soft marley.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can soften the hair by adding an oil to the boiling water. It will also add shine.

      Delete
  6. Some curls came out nice, but the top of my hair is extremely puffy what can I do to calm that down, and make the curls last longer than 2 days? Do u use any product on the curls?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I didn't use any product, since the hair is synthetic. Try submersing the hair for a longer about of time so the hair can maintain its curl longer. Are you protecting the hair at night by pulling it up? Not securing your hair at night can affect how long your curls last as well.

      Delete
  7. To achieve a better curl you can also pre dip the hair and let dry over night before installation.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Do you dip the entire twist or just the part wrapped on the perm rod?

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is the best review on crochet styling I have seen so far...and trust me I have searched High and low LOL... Thank ukulele

    ReplyDelete
  10. What type/brand of oil should be added to the boiling water to soften and shine the Marley hair?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use coconut oil. Its light and has a great scent.

      Delete
  11. This is lovely. Yours are the best and most natural looking set i've seen. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  12. RE:"So after a day, I learned why no one really wears this hair long. It tangles so easily!!!! It was so beautiful in the beginning, but after a day...my hair became a tangled mess!!!! ... I decided to cut it above my shoulders so it could do less rubbing which lead to the tangles...."

    I want to try this but you're making me think I won't make it through the airport let'lone my weekend destination. :(
    1- What can be done to keep the length without the "tangled mess" Use a different type? Pin it up? twist it?
    2- You stated that you re-curl/re-dip the hair weekly. I'm a wild sleeper. Would it make a difference if I rolled it every night in between?
    3- Can this style (with Marley hair) last a month?

    Thanks, I love your natural hair styles!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1. I'm not sure, thats why I cut mine. Pinning it seems logical, but where's the fun of pinning up extensions?
      2. It may help, but I hate sleeping in rollers.
      3. Yes, with proper maintenance.

      Delete
  13. Can you do this with freetress island twist hair

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't used that brand, but it looks very similar to Marley hair.

      Delete
  14. Can u use Lester's pink moisturizer lotion on it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't recommend it since its synthetic hair. Adding product may cause it to get dirtier faster.

      Delete